Totemic is officially a top 100 company to work for
Totemic, the Grantham-based financial services company, has been voted the 9th best company to work for in the UK in The Sunday Times annual list.
It has also retained its three star ‘extraordinary’ status for the second year running and is the top company to work for in the East Midlands in the mid-sized company category and the top debt management company in the UK.
A total of 270 companies took part in The Sunday Times Best Companies to Work For this year.
Around 85% of totemic’s 900 employees took part in a survey that gave scores in set categories including wellbeing in which the company came 5th, giving something in which Totemic was 11th and leadership in which the company was 15th.
Totemic employees were the happiest of all workers who took part in The Sunday Times survey with the balance between their work and home lives, returning a 76% positive score.
Established in 1992, totemic started out offering specialist debt advice to people in professions like nursing, the armed forces and the police. Today a key part of the totemic group is its debt management company, Payplan, which helps over 100,000 people each year manage their debts.
The ethics of the company are also greatly appreciated by its workers who have a great deal of faith in its Managing Director, Philip Rann, who was in sixth place for this with a score of 86%.
Employees believe the business makes a positive difference to the world (83%, in eighth place) and they gave an 85% score in terms of pride in working for the company.
Last year the company set up the totem committee, made up of ten colleagues, to look at employee engagement and charitable donations. It has already distributed more than £100,000 to good causes.
Lianne Tapson, totemic’s Director of Engagement, said: “We are absolutely delighted with our result in The Sunday Times Best Companies award 2012. We have been recognised as a top 30 company for the past six years but this is a record year, both in terms of overall score and positioning in the list.
“The main reason our employees tell us they feel so proud to work for totemic is that they make a positive difference to the lives of people in debt."
Lianne Tapson, totemic's Direct of Engagement
accepts our award
Each company that enters The Sunday Times Top 100 and Best Companies survey is measured across eight categories:
- Leadership: how you feel about the leader of our company and our senior managers
- Wellbeing: how you feel about stress, pressure and the balance between your work and home life
- Give something back: how much you think our company puts back into society in general and the local community
- Personal growth: to what extent you feel stretched and challenged by your job
- My manager: how you feel towards your immediate boss and day-to-day managers
- My company: feelings about our company as opposed to the people you work with
- My team: how you feel about your immediate colleagues
- Fair deal: how happy employees feel about their pay and benefits.